About the course
We’re now taking applications for 2014 courses in Oral Health Education.
Developed in partnership with OHE Southwest, this flexible, online course will help you learn the communication skills needed to educate your patients about their oral health.
To take part, you will need:
- a computer with a broadband internet connection and sound (either using headphones or speakers)
- an email account which you can easily check on a regular basis, (e.g. Googlemail or Yahoo Mail)
- the signed support of a dentist who is willing to supervise your practical work.
Designed for busy DCPs in a clear, concise and interactive format; the online course is broken down into 27 "bite-sized" modules, which can be accessed and viewed at any time. These modules cover everything you'll need to know about the subject.
How the course works
The course is split into 3 sections:
- Section 1 is an online course in the theory and practice of OHE. It lasts for 8 weeks.
- Section 2 is the practical work, known as the practical portfolio and begins after the initial 8 weeks. A total of 20 weeks is given to complete the practical portfolio.
- Section 3 is a 7 week period of revision in the lead up to the final examination.
To be eligible for this course you must:
- be registered with the General Dental Council
- have the support of a GDC-registered dentist
- have time, space and access to patients necessary to complete the practical portfolio.
Learning materials and support
We will provide you with all the course materials you will need, namely:
- an 8 week online course
- a further 7 week revision course to help you prepare for the final exam
- the textbook: ‘Basic Guide to Oral Health Education’ by Ann Felton and Alison Chapman
- a set of revision notes for offline study
- self-assessment questions and mock examinations
- an OHE Resource website providing information and resources to help you complete your practical work.
|All OHE students will also receive a discount voucher for 'The Scientific Basis of Oral Health Education' by R Levine and C Stillman-Lowe, entitling them to a saving of 50% on this book when purchased through the BDA.|
Even though the course is online, you won’t be studying alone. Our dedicated teaching staff will email you every week with advice and are available to answer your questions from the day you enrol until the day of your exam.
Practical work and examination
To gain the BDA qualification in OHE, students will need to complete a practical portfolio and take a final online exam. For important information about the practical work and the qualification visit BDA qualification in OHE.
- £495 per student - for staff of BDA members (proof of supervisors' BDA membership will be required)
- £595 per student - all other DCPs
An application form for the course is available to download at the bottom of the page. (Please note that there is an exam fee of £124 to be paid once the student is ready to take the final exam)
For further information about the course or qualification, please email email@example.com or call 0207 563 4551.