Our work on your behalf
- BDA policy work: our responses to consultations
- Direct access: our position on direct access
- Government: our engagement with parliamentary affairs
- Local initiatives: local commissioning
- National initiatives: issues affecting dentists across England
- Patient care: our positions on issues affecting cohorts of patients
- Workforce and finance: includes our work on pay and expenses
What does the policy and research team do?
The BDA policy and research team takes the lead in all aspects of policy, research, analysis and development. The policy team advises on matters of UK, EU and international dento-political, scientific and educational matters and in doing so, develops strong working relations with external stakeholders (including Departments of Health, regulators, NHS England and other policy makers) to ensure effective, independent and evidence based policy decision making for the Association.
The policy team provides advice and guidance to members and also works on behalf of non-members in the pursuit of advancing the working lives of the dental team on issues affecting the dental profession.
The BDA research team provides the necessary evidence base to support BDA decision-making and to inform the BDA's negotiating position. The team undertakes research to understand the state of the dental profession, its needs and what it requires from government; second, it undertakes membership research to understand the views, perceptions and priorities of dentists; third, it seeks to understand dentists' perceptions, service and policy needs and attitudes towards the wider dental industry.
It ensures that the BDA as an organisation maintains a capacity to carry out high quality research and seeks to promote evidence-based decision-making across the BDA.