Adult and child safeguarding
Additional event information
To book a place in an event you must be logged into the website.
If you do not have a BDA Website ID Pleaseclick here
Email a friend
Email these event details to a friend
Safeguarding children and adults
Friday 23 February 2018 | London
Friday 29 September 2017 | London
Members of the dental team are in a position where they may either directly observe the signs of child or adult abuse or neglect, or they may hear something that causes them concern about a child or an adult at risk's welfare. The General Dental Council (GDC) states that the dental team has an ethical and legal obligation to take appropriate action if concerned about the possible abuse of a child or adult at risk; and also to ensure that children and adults are not at risk from members of staff.
This bespoke and interactive training day will provide opportunities to enhance professional knowledge and competence in safeguarding adults and children, ensuring any safeguarding concerns are responded to appropriately.
The course includes updated guidelines relating to both child and adult legislation including Deprivation of Liberty Standards (DoLS), Care Act 2014 and Care & Support Guidance 2016. There will be a specific focus on identifying and appropriately responding to child neglect and early intervention strategies, in addition to identification of vulnerability factors for children and parents.
- Improve skills in defining and recognising signs of maltreatment of children and adults, particularly relating to child neglect, Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE), online safety, Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) and radicalisation
- Enhance identification of vulnerabilities for children and adults/parents including looked after children/young people/care leavers, domestic violence, mental health, disability, alcohol/drugs
- Update knowledge on ky legislation, responsibilities, policy and reporting procedures for safeguarding, responding to a disclosure and knowing what to do if barriers/challenges are encountered with information sharing
- Update knowledge/skills relating to recommended OFSTED child assessment tools (2014), liaison with other agencies, and safeguarding reviews undertaken by agencies/safeguarding boards
- Enhance awareness of the importance of treating people as individuals, with dignity and respect and use of effective advocacy skills.
Who should attend?
This course covers Levels 1 and 2 and is considered suitable for the majority of dentists and dental care professionals working in general practice. See below for further details regarding minimum training requirements.
The Intercollegiate document, which the CQC expects practices to follow, sets out minimum training requirements:
- Level 1: for all non-clinical staff (e.g. receptionists and practice managers)
- Level 2: for all dentists and dental care professionals
- Level 3: for paediatric dentists and paediatric orthodontists (i.e. those who could potentially contribute to assessing, planning, intervening and evaluating the needs of a child or young person and parenting capacity where there are safeguarding / child protection concerns). Level 3 training is not normally required for dentists and dental care professionals working in general dental practice.
Safeguarding training needs to be refreshed every three years. Level 1 training should be a minimum of two hours, level 2 training a minimum of three hours. Those required to meet competency level 3 have to undertake a minimum of 2 hours refresher training every year.
How to book
BDA members can register online
(login/register - see top right of page)
020 7563 4590
By booking form
Print, complete then return a
|Non Member: £195.00||DCPs: £95.00|
The fee includes refreshments, a standing buffet lunch and all course documentation.
Carol Blomfield, ChildProtectionCompany.com
Carol took early retirement from the NHS in 2015 working as a Hospital Safeguarding Children's Nurse Adviser/Paediatric Liaison although still works on a bank basis in this role. Previous roles have included 10 years as a Health Visitor, 12 years as a midwife and multiple safeguarding roles in both her working and social life.
Carol has worked with the ChildProtectionCompany.com developing safeguarding courses for early years settings and delivering courses to a wide range of clients including some 200 dental practitioners in the South West.
5 hours CPD
This training course meets the educational criteria set by the GDC for Verifiable CPD and is certified by the British Dental Association.
If you wish to stay overnight during the event please contact MICE Concierge our appointed hotel booking agency by email or call 01438 908770.
Full terms and conditions (including cancellation policy)