The GDC regulates dental professionals in the United Kingdom and has responsibility for protecting the public by maintaining professional standards.
You need to make an application to be registered with the GDC to practise as a dentist. You don’t have an automatic right to be registered. Dental schools guide graduates through the registration process to be registered in time to begin DFT/VT in September.
The GDC’s role is to protect the public and help the profession to maintain high standards by:
- Maintaining registers of dentists and dental care professionals
- Issuing guidance on standards of conduct and practice
- Maintaining high standards of dental education
- Ensuring that dental professionals keep their skills and knowledge up to date through Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Taking action if there are doubts about a dental professional’s fitness to practise.