Edge browser users:
To download Word, Excel or PowerPoint files please right-click on the file you wish to download, and select 'Save link as...'

Other sources of funding

In addition to student loans and bursaries, there are a variety of sources of funding open to dental students. This includes hardship funds, career development loans, cadetships and more.

Hardship loans

These loans are obtained from your university or college and are available to those students experiencing extreme financial difficulties due to unexpected circumstances.


You must have applied for the maximum amount of student loan available to you to qualify and if the university or college agrees you can apply for the student loan and the hardship loan at the same time. The application should be made to the student services department at the university or college.


Examples of hardship are: living costs, disability costs, books, equipment, accommodation, child care, transport, utility costs, medical expenses, legal costs, food costs.


The Student Loans Company will pay the loan directly into your personal bank account and it is re-paid the same way as your student loan.


For full details contact your university.


Hardship funds

Similar to the hardship loan, hardship funds are obtained from your university or college and are available to those students experiencing extreme financial difficulties due to unexpected circumstances. You will usually have been expected to take out a hardship loan before being considered for a hardship fund.


This fund is a grant and does not have to be re-paid. The university or college can pay this fund to the student in either one lump sum or over a period of time.


For full details contact your university.


If you have exhausted all other sources of financial help and you are still experiencing financial difficulties you may, exceptionally, be eligible for an NHS bursary scheme hardship grant - for medical and dental students. All dental students eligible for an NHS bursary, except 'fees only' bursary award holders, may apply.
Payments will not be made to you if you have chosen not to take up your full student loan and any other form of funding or financial assistance that is available to you.


Applications should be made in writing, attaching details and evidence of your personal financial circumstances to: Operations Manager, NHS Student Bursaries, Hesketh House, 200-220 Broadway, Fleetwood, Lancashire, FY7 8SS.



The Scottish Ministers provide discretionary hardship funds to Scottish publicly-funded institutions for students to who, for whatever reason have financial difficulties.


Each university or college is responsible for deciding who gets help and how much. Students should apply directly to their university.



Welsh students may be eligible for additional funding to help meet specific costs such as childcare and travel where the student is eligible.


Northern Ireland

Support Funds are available to all UK students studying at Northern Ireland universities.

BDA Benevolent Fund

The BDA Benevolent Fund has been supporting dentists and their families for over 130 years.


Grants and personal loans are made to students facing financial difficulties due to unexpected circumstances. Each case is dealt with on an individual basis and the assistance we provide is tailored to each person's needs. Students applying for support will usually have been expected to take out a hardship loan or given hardship funds from their university before being considered. Applicants must be living in the UK.


For further information visit the BDA Benevolent Fund website or call on 020 7486 4994.



ScotsCare helps those from Scotland who live in and around London and who are suffering hardship or seeking to rebuild or improve their lives. ScotsCare is the registered trademark of The Royal Scottish Corporation, a charity that traces its origins to 1603. The charity has helped over a million Scottish people in London.


Training and Student grants are available to help complete educational and vocational courses enabling people to improve their chances of gaining paid employment. To be eligible, applicants must have lived in London for two years prior to the start of any course.


Educational grants and charitable trusts

Students can obtain the Educational Grants Directory. This contains over 1,400 sources of non-statutory financial help for people in education, offering a total of around £54 million each year for students, graduates and PHDs to advise them on money available to do study or research.


For students studying in Scotland, the Student Awards Agency for Scotland has a Register of Educational Endowments which they can search on behalf of a student.


Armed Forces

A limited number of funded cadetships are available for UK dental students.