The General Dental Council (GDC) requires all its registrants to undertake continuing professional development.
Mandatory CPD was phased in over three years, starting 1 January 2002. Below is an overview over the requirements.
All dentists on the Dentists Register must undertake CPD for recertification every five years:
250 hours over a five-year period
75 verifiable, 175 general CPD
An average of 50 hours per year, 15 of which verifiable
- Since January 2007, compulsory subjects apply to new five-year cycles.
- All dentists need to maintain and retain their own records
- Random sampling by the GDC
- Failure to comply can lead to erasure from the Register
- A first step towards revalidation.