What does the Working Group do?
Our remit is wide and covers all fields of practice in dentistry. Arrangements for dental foundation training, dental core training and specialty training are constant topics for the EE&DT Working Group and support for the pan-professional human factors work also sits within our activities.
A major focus is, of course, workforce issues, and we ensure our representatives participate on outside working groups or stakeholder meetings (for example the GDC and Health Education England) to help influence the agenda.
We lead on the BDA's work on tackling stress and improving wellbeing in dentistry; a key focus for our group is to ensure better working lives for dentists and dental team members.
Recent work has included:
- The impact of COVID-19 on dental undergraduate and postgraduate education
- The impact of Health Education England's 'Advancing Dental Care' project on dental training and future careers
- Monitoring the General Dental Council's activities and, particularly, its work on potential payments by instalments of the Annual Retention Fee, to make it less financially onerous for dentists
- Scope of practice, preparedness for practice, and professionalism
Our Working Group meets three times a year, usually around February, June and October. Matters are also considered by email or online meeting as appropriate, if required.
Meet the members
Our membership includes BDA Board members, Chairs of the BDA’s craft committees, members of the Students and Young Dentists committees and a lay person.
- Shareena Ilyas (Chair)
- Mick Armstrong
- Mark Bishop
- Laura Cross
- John Edwards
- Nigel Jones
- Paul Woodhouse
- Eddie Crouch (ex officio)
- Peter Crooks (ex officio)
Chairs of BDA craft committees (or their nominees)
- Academic Reference Group: Giles McCracken
- Central Committee for Hospital Dental Services: Peter Dyer
- England Community Dental Services Committee: Charlotte Waite
- General Dental Practice Committee: David Cottam and Shiv Pabary
Students and young dentists representatives
- Students Committee: Rebecca Thompson and Sinchana Lakshmish
- Young Dentists Committee: Amaar Hassan and Mohammed Ismael
BDA mental health and wellbeing lead
BDA Indemnity representative