Understanding NHS rules
To book a place on an event you must be logged into the website
Attend an event if you don't have a BDA website ID
Email a friend
Email these event details to a friend
Understanding NHS rules:
make the contract work, avoid underperformance and consider skill mix
Friday 17 March 2023 | BDA, London
An interactive workshop for:
- practice owners
- practice managers.
The day will include time for discussion and practical scenarios.
*The event will discuss arrangements for England only*
Gain an understanding of the grey areas in NHS regulations and explore moving your practice into a profitable mixed offer.
- Be familiar with your obligations/ responsibilities under the NHS contract as an associate, practice owner or manager
- Understand the legislation behind NHS treatments and claims
- Know how legalisation is enforced relating to NHS/private boundaries and submission of forms and data
- Understand the key legal terminology and important definitions within NHS regulations and how these are interpreted
- Find out how to work effectively in a UDA system
- Know how dentists are monitored by use of data derived from FP17s
- Understand the Dental Assurance Framework and how the NHS BSA risk manage practices
- Recognise the importance of full and accurate clinical and up-to-date record keeping.
A one-day interactive training course with an opportunity to explore case studies and for discussion time with the experts.
|NB This event now starts at the later time of 10am and registration will be 09:00-10:00.
Registration and refreshments
||Introduction and welcome
||Understanding the NHS system and its drivers
- The building blocks of the NHS system and its working components
Len D'Cruz, Practice Owner, London and Head of Indemnity BDA
||NHS regulations - Scenarios: 1
||Managing your UDA targets (Len)
- Working effectively in a UDA system
- How your practice can best manage this/phasing treatments for high needs patients and perio patients
- Working in a mixed practice effectively - use skill mix effectively.
||NHS common complaints and how practices are monitored
- Common complaints and how to respond
- How dentists are monitored
- BSA reports and outliers.
Victoria Michell, Head of NHS and Business Team, BDA
Ela Rexhaj, Practice Management Consultant, BDA
||Record keeping update
- What do third parties want and need to see from a clinical record?
- Find out what the GDC, NHS BSA and solicitors expect.
Clare Lawrence, Dento-legal Advisor, BDA
Clare Lawrence and Len D'Cruz
GDP and Practice Owner, London and Head of Indemnity, BDA
Len is Head of BDA Indemnity, a general dental practitioner, foundation trainer and practice owner. He has 21 years’ experience as a dento-legal advisor supporting dentists with complaints, clinical and regulatory issues, and clinical negligence claims. He is lead lecturer at the University of Bedfordshire teaching on the MA in Dental Law and Ethics. He has authored and co-authored two books: “Understanding NHS dentistry” and “Legal aspects of general dental practice” (Churchill Livingstone) and has contributed legal and ethical content to a number of text books and journals and websites. He regularly shares his wisdom on NHS regulations and contract reform and has both dental and legal qualifications.
Dento-legal Advisor, BDA
Clare has 20 years of experience as a dentist, working in both primary and secondary care. She became a member of the Royal College of Surgeons and gained her diploma in Conscious Sedation from Guys before joining the Oral Surgery specialist list in 2008.
Having worked in the dento‐legal field for the last six years, she has continued her interest in the law and recently became a member of the Faculty of Forensic and Legal Medicine, going on to complete the diploma in forensic medical science. Clare is committed to pursuing proper and fair outcomes for her dental colleagues in all manner of dental complaints, claims, regulatory and disciplinary processes and advice cases.
Head of NHS and Business Team, BDA
Victoria is an advisor in the NHS, Business and General Practice advice team. She qualified as a solicitor in 2010 having trained in the City of London. She worked for the financial regulator before moving to the BDA and undertook a secondment representing clients buying and selling dental practices.
Ela Rexhaj, Practice Management Consultant, BDA
Ela is an adviser in the BDA's NHS and Business team. Ela regularly helps members with all sorts of issues relating to their NHS contracts, rules and regulations as well as general practice matters.
5.5 hours CPD
The training course meets the edicational criteria set by the GDC for enhanced CPD and is certified by the British Dental Association
|Dental care professional
How to book
(login/register - see top right of page)
020 7563 4590
By booking form
Print, complete then return the
Please note: If you have a GDC number you can use the online system. You do not need to be a BDA member.
If you do not already have a BDA website username and password, fill in this form
and we'll set you up with a temporary username and password.
British Dental Association
64 Wimpole Street
London W1G 8YS
If you wish to stay overnight during the event please contact MICE Concierge our appointed hotel booking agency by email email@example.com or call 01438 908 770.
Full terms and conditions (including cancellation policy)