Gerodontology and Special Care Study Day
|Date ||Friday 22 June 2018|
Questions and Close 16:30
|Location||Novotel, Bostock Lane, Long Eaton, NG10 4EP|
|Division||East Midlands |
BDA member £50
- to define the frailty syndrome, introduce frailty scales and common problems
- to be aware of polypharmacy in the elderly and common problems associated with dentistry
- to discuss multimorbidity and its impact on elderly patients
- to have an understanding of the role of the geriatrician in primary care and discuss the interface with community dental service
- to receive an update on Parkinsons Disease.
Learning Outcomes- Lecture 1
- To have a greater understanding of the safeguarding issues around oral health for patients in hospital
- To learn how the Mouth Care Matters programme developed and has made long term changes to patient care in hospitals
- To be able to apply the principles of the Mouth Care Model to patients in care homes and their own homes.
- To reflect on whether dental services need to integrate more with other health care providers.
Learning Outcome- Lecture 2
- To be aware of how the demographics of the population are changing.
- To reflect the changes in oral health for special care groups
- To learn more about the challenges facing special care services
- As a group discuss treatment options for a range of clinical scenarios.
- Understand what direct access is.
- Understand the remit of a Dental Therapist and the Benefits/Restrictions are within Direct Access
- Understand how a Dental therapist can improves access to treatment for patients and overall patient care
- Understand how a Dental Therapist can be utilised to create a well skill mixed team: in the real world
- Create suggestions of how a Dental Therapist could be used within your own teams - communities.
|Speakers||James Shaw, Consultant Physician in Medicine for the Elderly|
Mili Doshi, Consultant in Special Care Dentistry
Jordan Leeming, Community Dental Therapist, Aneurin Bevan University Health Board
|Enquiries/Book your place|
Full Details and Booking Form
Enquiries to Charlotte Waite