What the Lindsay Society does
Dental Historian is the journal of the Lindsay Society the History of Dentistry.
Its contents are wide-ranging, to be of interest both to researchers and general readers.
It includes results of recent research, memories of the profession and other relevant information.
The journal is usually published twice-yearly and is indexed on Medline. It is free to members. Some
recent issues are online.
Contents of the latest issue - July 2018:
- A tribute to Emeritus Professor Robin M Basker OBE
- Enid Muriel Spencer MBE (3 October 1930 - 30 May 2018)
- Frederick Ballard (1882-1962) tireless champion of NHS dentistry
- Malcolm Bishop and the CE Wallis Lecture at the Royal Society of Medicine
Museum Man - the overlooked influence of Joseph Lewin Payne
- Evolution of the dentist's image in Francophone comic strips. Part 1
- The special contribution of Pat O'Driscoll to the practice of oral and maxillofacial surgery in the late 20th century
- History of the National Examining Board for Dental Nurse: 1943-2018
- Gibbs, Colin Davis, the Oral Hygiene Service and its predecessors
Submission of an article
Anyone with the results of historical research or a relevant story to tell is welcome to submit a paper for publication.
If you would like to do this please send it as an email attachment to Margaret Wilson, Editor, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dental Historian is sent free to members of the Lindsay Society.
Non-members wishing to purchase a single issue can do so by sending a cheque for £16 sterling made out to the Lindsay Society to the Distribution Manager, Dr G Garnett, Hey Barn, Back Lane, Newton-in-Bowland, Clitheroe, Lancs, BB7 3EE.
Annual Conference 2019
Join us for our annual conference on Friday 4th – Sunday 6th October 2019 in Leicester.
The Saturday and Sunday morning lecture sessions will be an eclectic mix of thought provoking, surprising and amusing talks covering many aspects of dental history.
Further details to follow.
Lilian Lindsay Memorial Lecture 2019
Popular lecturer, Kevin Lewis will deliver the Memorial Lecture in May 2019. Full details to follow.
Previous conferences 2018
A hugely successful conference in Glasgow at the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons. Delegates enjoyed inspiring and interesting speakers and a fascinating visit to see the dental collection at the Surgeons' Hall Museums in Edinburgh.
For more information about the annual conference please contact the Honorary Secretary Dr Brian Williams.