Internet Explorer and Edge browser users:
To download Word, Excel or PowerPoint files please right-click on the file you wish to download, and select 'Save target as...'

History of the Museum

The British Dental Association Museum began in 1919 when Lilian Lindsay, the first female to qualify as a dentist in the UK, donated several old dental instruments to the BDA.

Lilian Lindsay

She had been storing them in a box under her bed.

 

Today the collections would no longer fit under a bed as they extend to about 30,000 items.

 

The collection includes:

  • dental instruments and equipment
  • furniture
  • photographs
  • archives
  • fine and decorative art.

The Museum was developed primarily for the use and education of BDA members. 

 

However, in 1967, when the BDA moved to its present offices in London, the Museum opened its doors to the general public.

 

In Autumn 2005, the Museum was redesigned and made more accessible to the general public, as well as dentists.

BDA Museum

The BDA Museum has one of the largest collections of dental heritage in the UK. Spanning the 17th to the present day, highlights of the collection include dental chairs, drills, oral hygiene products, and the infamous ‘Waterloo’ teeth. 

The BDA Museum is located at 64 Wimpole Street, London, W1G 8YS, find out more details and our opening times.