Ensuring the prompt collection of fees is crucial to maintaining cash flow and keeping your business operational. You must
- Be clear with patients about the fees they need to pay and when
- Make it easy for them to pay
- If you offer credit, check if you need authorisation,
- Follow up late payments promptly but consider how you pursue them
and how far.
The Expert templates provided at the bottom of the page will help you develop in-house systems for collecting money from patients and pursuing outstanding accounts.
Key learning points
This advice provides a general introduction to collecting patient fees and developing in-house systems, including:
- How to ensure that patients receive up-to-date information about your fees and the payment methods that you accept
- Methods for reducing outstanding payments and keep the amount owed to a minimum
- Keeping patients informed of the cost implications when treatment plans are changed
- The rules around accepting payments in instalments and offering credit
- Ensuring safe methods of payment.